Friday, October 16, 2015

Engaging Students Outside of the Classroom


"The creative practices of youth are a part of their everyday life (Gustavon pg. 102).  This statement means to me that youth spend only a very small part of their day in a classroom, so to find ways to engage them outside of the classroom is essential to their growth and development, especially with activities that they have already expressed an interest in.  The story of "Gil" bought back memories for me of a science teacher I had in the 6th or 7th grade who used "my story" for his thesis on the Bureau of Child Welfare , now known as Administration for Children's Services.  His ability to engage me outside of the classroom had a significant impact on my behavior in the classroom.  Another significant point made by Gustavon is that educators best educate when they lead by example, by modeling behavior and exhibiting   a genuine concern for the welfare of the  youth they serve.  In my opinion educators are first and foremost of service to youth. Teachers need to be working with their students (Gustavon pg. 119.

Engaging Urban Youth through digital story telling struck a chord in me,  Story telling has been a staple in Black communities for centuries.  It was a way to share the family history before the advent of any digital media.  The family history was passed down from generation to generation.  For many of the youth today it's all about digital media, from iphones, ipads, social media and the internet, so using this media to engage youth in meaningful dialogue is perhaps an idea way to go.  Digital story telling has the potential to provide youth with opportunities for new sense making of who they are (Nixon pg 124).  I have worked extensively with  youth, specifically those deemed "at risk" and have found that they are receptive to anything where they feel connected and empowered.

Although Chpater 7 left me with more questions then answers, all of the readings in this module left an impression on me as to the importance of tapping into the natural resources of youth and the significance in engaging them outside of the classroom.




No comments:

Post a Comment