Friday, November 20, 2015

Interview SA

For this assignment I interviewed PK, a 16 year old tenth grader who the daughter of a family friend. My first question was how old  was she when she started using a computer.  I was surprised when she replied 2 years of age.  She recounted how she would sit on her mother's lap while her mother was on the desktop and that was how she learned to navigate a computer.  She has had her own cell phone since the  age of 12 and presently has a iphone.  She stated that she spends anyway from 4-5 hours a day on her laptop, and constantly texts or responds to text.

The purpose for her online activity in her words, "to stay connected to my friends, and have fun".She has profiles on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and she had a MySpace page when she was 10.  She showed me her pages and I must say they are very impressive wth the graphics.  She also plays video games and her favorite in NBA Y2K.  I asked her what she would do in the event she ever lost her phone and the look on her face was priceless.

I asked her how often does she actually call her friends and she basically said it's all about "texting".  I took this to me that she would rather text then talk.  She is a big fan of "selfies" and her and her friends post new "selfies" on a daily basis and even have a "selfie" stick.  As for school, she says she uses the internet at school for research purposes and there is software on the school computers that dont allow for social media sites.  In her room she has a flat screen TV, laptop and a kindle that she uses for reading books.  She says she is always on her phone, texting or posting on her social media sites.

The only thing I was really surprised at was the age she started but in retrospect there is nothing for me to surprised about.  This is the digital age and children start at very young ages.  She was very forthcoming and seemed to enjoy being interviewed about her digital uses.

No comments:

Post a Comment